Global Health Photography Contest
Deadline: March 08, 2017
The 2017 Global Health Photography Competition is now closed. Winners were announced at Global Health Day on March 20, 2017:
- First place: Garrett Matlick, Kampong Thom, Cambodia
- Second place: Andrew Self, Dowa, Malawi
- Third place: Samyra Cox, Vahdat, Tajikistan
The Center for Global Health hosts the Global Health Photography Competition as a part of our annual Global Health Day event. This competition is co-sponsered by the JB Grant Society.
1. Johns Hopkins University students, trainees, staff and faculty.
2. Photos must be from a previous domestic or overseas experience in the past 5 years.
Child and Maternal Health
Community Health and Chronic Disease
1. Maximum of 2 photos in total per participant
2. Send each photo separately and include in your message the following:
- Name of photographer :
- Photographer school :
- Photographer email :
- Photographer phone :
- Title of photograph :
- Location (city and country where photograph was taken):
- Category of photo (Choose from categories above) :
- The date (if unknown, please provide the year) each photograph was taken (Photo must be taken in the last 5 years) :
- This affirmation for images containing faces that are capable of being recognized: “For this photo I asked for and received from those in the photograph verbal (at a minimum) consent to be photographed.”
Photograph Technical Guidelines
1. Quality of each photo must be approximately 1600x1200 pixels; minimum 1-2 megapixel per image.
2. Format: JPEG or TIFF only
3. No collages will be accepted.
4. Digital alteration of photos should not be done/kept to minimum.
1. Photos would be screened initially based on the technical aspects i.e. exposure, focus, color, lighting etc.
2. Then, photos will be judged on the basis of content (relevance to category), message, theme, creativity etc. by an independent panel of judges.
Students/trainees: Cash prizes will be awarded to the best 2 photographs
Faculty/Staff: 1 Best photograph will be awarded a prize.
* Most liked photograph on an online album page will be awarded a separate prize.
Announcement of Results
Winners will be announced no later than the noontime keynote sesion of Global Health Day. The results will be posted on the website of Center for Global Health and the participants will be notified via email. Participants should plan to attend the keynote on global health day to receive their prizes.
Conditions of Submission
Photos will be screened for adherence to ethical principles and accepted photos will be posted to an online album for display. Entries that violate copyright or the laws of the country in which they were taken are not acceptable.
By entering the contest, the Participant grants to The Center for Global Health, a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to use such photographs on its website, and publicity and other works as may be necessary to meet the requirements of the Center for Global Health, and to do so without requiring The Center for Global Health to notify the Participant, seek the Participant's permission, or owe any form of compensation to the Participant. This agreement will apply to all photographs and other submissions supplied to the Center for Global Health by the Participant and shall remain in effect until cancelled in writing by either party or superseded by a subsequent agreement.