Frequently Asked Questions
- The announcement states eligible applicants are “instructors and assistant professors.” I am an Adjunct Assistant Professor. Does this make me ineligible?
Adjunct faculty are not eligible to apply.
- My appointment as an assistant professor is pending. Am I eligible to apply?
In order to apply, you must be appointed as an Instructor or Assistant Professor at the time of application for a faculty grant.
- The announcement talks about $50,000 per grant, but then it states they can be of up to two years. Does this mean the maximum is $50,000 per year or $50,000 per grant?
The maximum allowed per award (grant) is $50,000. Investigators have two years in which to use these funds.
- Does the $50,000 limit include or exclude overhead?
Indirect costs (overhead) may not be taken from the $50,000 award.
- The announcement says that this is to encourage inter-school collaboration and lists the Schools of Public Health, Medicine and Nursing. Would a project that includes the School of Engineering being equally attractive?
Global health-related projects led by or involving faculty from any School at Hopkins are encouraged.
- Are co-PI's allowed (as recently allowed by NIH)?
There can only be one applicant since we need one point of contact and clearly need to send the money to one department. However, recognition of another investigator as a co-PI is allowed in the narrative.
- The budget form has space for salary but the announcement says salary is not allowed for faculty/PI/co-PI's? Is that for research assistants?
The program does not allow salary support for faculty participating in the proposed research. However, reasonable salary costs for staff as well as other costs for the research are allowed.
- How many applications can one faculty member submit?
A faculty member may only submit one application per cycle as the “Applicant.” However, an individual may be an “Applicant” on his/her own project as well as a “co-investigator” with a different applicant; duplicate applications (same project) with different named “Applicants” are not allowed.