Nancy Glass, PhD
- Associate Director, Center for Global Health
PhD, University of Maryland, 2001; MPH Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health 1996; MSN, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing 1996; BSN, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing 1994; BS, Furman University 1990
My research focus is the development, implmentation and evaluation of community-based interventions to prevent and reduce disparities in health access, quality of care and health outcomes for survivors of gender based violence (GBV). I am the Principal Investigator (PI) of four federally funded (NIH and CDC) research studies focused on reducing violence against women through workplace, safety planning and microfinance interventions in the US and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
12/2010-11/2015 R01MD006075-01. Principal Investigator (15%). National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD). A microfinance intervention to improve health of rape survivors in the DRC.
5/2010-2/2015 R01MH085641-01A1.Principal Investigator (20%). National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). Internet-Based Intervention to Improve Mental Health Outcomes for Abused Women.
9/2008-8/2013 R01 0H009080-01. Principal Investigator (30%). National Institute for Occupational Health & Safety (NIOSH). Partnership to Improve Workplace Safety for In-Home Care Workers.
9/2008-8/2013 R01 0H009524-01. Principal Investigator (20%) National Institute for Occupational Health & Safety (NIOSH). Evaluation of the Oregon Protective Leave Law for Victims of Violence.
HONORS AND AWARDS
2011 Early Career Award, Consortium of Universities for Global Health
2009 Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
2009 Knowledge for the World, Johns Hopkins University Alumni Award
2007 Ambassador, Paul Rogers Society for Global Health Research, Research America
2007 Family Violence Prevention Fund's Linda Saltzman New Investigator Award.
Gender based violence, including intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, sexual assault; Conflict-related gender based violence; Health Disparities; Community-based participatory research methodolgies, Community based intervention trials; Global women's health
- *Rollins, C., Glass, N., Perrin, N., Billhardt, C., Clough, A., Barnes, J., Hanson, G., Bloom, T. (2011) Housing instability is as strong a predictor of poor health outcomes as level of danger in an abusive relationship: Findings from the SHARE study. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. October 10 [Epub ahead of print].
- *Kwako, L, Glass, N, Campbell, J, Melvin, K, Barr, T, Melvin, K, & Gill, J. (2011). Traumatic Brain Injury in Intimate Partner Violence: A Critical Review of Outcomes and Mechanisms. Trauma, Violence and Abuse. 12(3): 115-26.
- *Rybarczyk, M., Tosha, M., Mbika, B., Bulonza, P, Ramazani, P., Zahiga, I., Safari, O., Bachunguye, R., Safari, C., Iragi, A., Glass, N. (2011). Evaluation of medical supplies essential for the care of survivors of sex- and gender-based violence in post-conflict Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Medicine, Conflict and Survival. 27:2, 91-110.
- *Mankowski, E., Galvez, G., Glass, N. (2011). Interdisciplinary Linkages of Community Psychology and Cross-Cultural Psychology: History, Values and an Illustrative Research and Action Project on Intimate Partner Violence. American Journal of Community Psychology. 47(1-2):127-43.
- Farquhar C, Nathanson N; Consortium Working Group (Glass, N). (2011). The Afya Bora Consortium: an African-US Partnership to train leaders in global health. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2011 Jun;25(2):399-409. Epub 2011 Apr 15.
- Youth and adult microfinance to improve resilience outcomes in DRC