Isabelle Coppens, PhD MSc
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health
Toxoplasma,Plasmodium liver stage,Cryptosporidium,host cell-parasite interactions,parasitophorous vacuole,nutrient uptake,lipids,cholesterol,cytoskeleton,cell biology,drug targeting,
-Pszenny V, Ehrenman K, Romano JD, Kennard A, Schultz A, Roos DS, Grigg ME, Carruthers VB and Coppens I (2015) A lipolytic Lecithin:Cholesterol Acyltransferase secreted by Toxoplasma facilitates parasite replication and egress. J. Biol. Chem., in press.
-Nolan SJ, Romano JD, Luechtefeld T and Coppens I (2015) Neospora caninum recruits host cell structures to its parasitophorous vacuole and salvages lipids from organelles. Eukaryot. Cell 14:454-473.
-Jayabalasingham B, Voss C, Ehrenman K, Romano JD, Smith ME, Fidock DA, Bosch J and Coppens I (2014) Characterization of the Atg8-conjugation system in two Plasmodium parasites with special focus on the liver stage: Possible linkage between the apicoplastic and autophagic systems? Autophagy 10:269-284.
-Coppens I (2014) Exploitation of auxotrophies and metabolic defects in Toxoplasma as therapeutic approaches. Int. J. Parasitol. 44:109-120.
-Coppens I (2013) Targeting lipid biosynthesis and salvage in apicomplexan parasites for improved chemotherapies. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 11:823-835.
- Romano J, Sonda S, Bergbower E, Smith ME and Coppens I (2013) Toxoplasma gondii salvages sphingolipids from the host Golgi through the rerouting of selected Rab vesicles to the parasitophorous vacuole. Mol. Biol. Cell 24:1974-1995.
- Lige B, Sampels V and Coppens I (2013) Characterization of a second sterol-esterifying enzyme in Toxoplasma highlights the importance of cholesterol storage pathways for the parasite. Mol. Microbiol. 87:951-967.
- Ehrenman K, Wanyiri JW, Bhat N, Ward HD and Coppens I (2013) Cryptosporidium parvum scavenges LDL-derived cholesterol and micellar cholesterol internalized into enterocytes. Cell. Microbiol. 15:1182-1197.
- Romano JD, de Beaumont C, Carrasco JA, Ehrenman K, Bavoil PM and Coppens I (2013) Fierce competition between Toxoplasma and Chlamydia for host cell structures in dually infected cells. Eukaryot. Cell 12:265-277.
- Romano JD, de Beaumont C, Carrasco JA, Ehrenman K, Bavoil PM and Coppens I (2012) A novel co-infection model with Toxoplasma and Chlamydia trachomatis highlights the importance of host cell manipulation for nutrient scavenging. Cell. Microbiol. 15:619-646.
- Lige B, Romano JD, Bandaru VV, Ehrenman K, Levitskaya J, Sampels V, Haughey NJ and Coppens I (2011) Deficiency of a Niemann-Pick, type C1-related protein in Toxoplasma is associated with multiple lipidoses and increased pathogenicity. PLoS Pathog. 7:e1002410.
- Labaied M, Jayabalasingham B, Bano N, Cha SJ, Sandoval J, Guan G and Coppens I (2011) Plasmodium salvages cholesterol internalized by LDL and synthesized de novo in the liver. Cell. Microbiol. 13:569-586.
-Ehrenman K, Sehgal A, Lige B, Stedman TT, Joiner KA and Coppens I (2010) Novel roles for ATP-binding cassette G transporters in lipid redistribution in Toxoplasma. Mol. Microbiol. 76:1232-1249.
-Jayabalasingham B, Bano N and Coppens I (2010) Metamorphosis of the malaria parasite in the liver is associated with organelle clearance. Cell Res. 20:1043-1059.
-Lige B, Jayabalasingham B, Zhang H, Pypaert M and Coppens I (2009) Role of an ancestral D-bifunctional protein containing two sterol-carrier protein-2 domains in lipid uptake and trafficking in Toxoplasma. Mol. Biol. Cell. 20:658-672.
-Romano JD, Bano N and Coppens I (2008) New host nuclear functions are not required for the modifications of the parasitophorous vacuole of Toxoplasma. Cell. Microbiol. 10:465-476.
-Bano N, Romano JD, Jayabalasingham B and Coppens I (2007) Cellular interactions of Plasmodium liver stage with its host mammalian cell. Int. J. Parasitol. 37:1329-1341.
-Coppens I, Dunn JD, Romano JD, Pypaert M, Zhang H, Boothrod JC and Joiner KA (2006) Toxoplasma sequesters host lysosomes in the vacuolar space. Cell 125:261-274.
-Sehgal A, Bettiol S, Wenk MR, Pypaert M, Kaasch A, Blader I, Joiner KA and Coppens I (2005) Peculiarities of host cholesterol transport to the unique intracellular compartment containing Toxoplasma gondii. Traffic 6:1-17.
-Nishikawa N, Quittnat F, Stedman TT, Voelker DR, Choi JY, Zahn M, Yang M, Joiner KA and Coppens I (2005) Host cell lipids control cholesteryl ester synthesis and storage in intracellular Toxoplasma. Cell. Microbiol. 7:849-867.
-Quittnat F, Nishikawa Y, Stedman TT, Voelker DR, Choi JY, Zahn M, Murphy R, Martin W, Yang M, Joiner KA and Coppens I (2004) Synthesis of triacylglycerols in an ancient eukaryote: Identification and functional expression of a Toxoplasma DGAT1-related enzyme. Mol. Biochem. Parasitol. 138:107-122.
-Coppens I and Joiner KA (2003) Host but not parasite cholesterol controls Toxoplasma cell entry by modulating organelle discharge. Mol. Biol. Cell 14:3804-3820.
-Coppens I, Sinai AP and Joiner KA (2000) Toxoplasma gondii exploits host low-density lipoprotein receptor-mediated endocytosis for cholesterol acquisition. J. Cell Biol. 149:167-180.